Re: die rolling and HW system

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:47:31 -0400

Nick Brooke wrote:

> Steve writes:
>
> > I've always seen the obviousness of the philosophy of the extended
> > contest put forth on the list. Characters with a higher skill to
> > start would always want to minimum bid the situation
> ^^^^^^
>
> Not necessarily. If they have less than a minute to defeat the temple guards
> before the demon-summoning ritual is complete, they will not want to minimum
> bid the situation. If they can see the villain's ship casting off as they
> bash sailors aside on the quay, they will not want to minimum bid the
> situation. Et bloody cetera.
>
> And furthermore: if they have been whining at the GM, authors, editors, etc.
> that "combat takes too long", they have rather a lot of nerve to keep
> minimum bidding the situation.
>
> And finally: the GM can always correct matters with big bids when it's his
> turn.
>
> Cheers, Nick

VERY well put.

Make sure there's a time constraint if you wish. I recall the sheer desperation caused by the 'charge to get onto the barge' in Sygian Stallions to this day.

"The crew see you and start to cast off frantically. The barge wiull be pulling out in a few momements. The remining guaruds throw themselves in your way. What now?"

"I'll run past them. If they hit me, so be it. I've GOT to get onto that ship!"

"Brave man."

Jeff