Re: Re: Dropping Action Points

From: David Stephen Bell <davebell_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:44:44 -0000

SNIPPED
> If you go with High-Roll wins, then the Mastery guy will win every
time
> (barring rolling a "20"), because there is no way that a good roll
by the
> no-mastery guy will both be a better result *and* a higher rolled
number
> than the 1-mastery guy (assuming the target number is the same
except for
> the mastery difference).
>
> Frankly, if the no-mastery wins with such a low target number, he
deserves
> to win!
>
> Roderick

Thanks for the comments but I don't think I explained this very well. I was thinking of instances when an 4 ability made their roll againgst a 1W ability, on average the 1W roll would be higher and though succeeding would lose the contest. In this specific instance, things seem unbalanced.

OTOH as Alexandre Lanciani pointed out,

>In my (still all too short) experience in running HW randomness
>isn't a worse problem than in other games, especially since probably
>4w will just suffer a marginal defeat. The AP system IMO gives in
>the long run advantage to the higher skill.

Looking at the overall picture, as people have pointed out the skilled man will win most of the time as the less skilled man fails his roll. It all comes out in the wash.

Dave Bell
"The more I learn, the less I know - and at the rate I'm learning, pretty soon I'll know nothing at all". (Brisco County Jr. & Lord Bowler). I'm only "standing on the shoulders of giants" (and that's Sir Isaac Newton, not Noel Gallagher) :(