Re: Running Away don't work

From: Stephen McGinness <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:55:22 -0000

"Wulf Corbett" wrote:
> > Would you similarly allow someone to win a combat using a simple
> > contest if they changed from an Argue contest to a Close Combat
> > contest?
>
> I don't think he's arguing that a simple contest determines the
> WINNER, it only determines whether you get to change the purpose of
> the contest. Similar to a wargame's requirement to roll leadership
> to change a unit's orders. Then you cotinue the extended contest.
> If you're not fast enough, you can't even try and run.

Wulf has said exactly what I mean. I wish he could do that for me all the time! :-)

I almost answered Benedict's question with a simple yes as I wasn't thinking. I have seen many an argument in real life decided when someone suddenly changed to close combat! I think it is good that the system should allow for this...

I have also seen someone try to start a fight and be talked out of it. Though often the ability to prevent an argument becoming a fight is instrumental, and thus the simple contest to see who determines the nature of the contest.