RE: Re: Truestone

From: Steven White <fringe_worthy_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:46:10 -0500

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:20:28 -0000
> From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_at_...>
> Subject: RE: Re: Truestone
>
> This is the most insightful thing I've read in this thread, and a very good
> example of how to "convert" RQ Truestone for Hero Wars: think of it as a
> plot device, not a "magic item".
>
> Ian's earlier suggestion about Storm Bullies using Truestone for its
> supposed anti-chaos powers caused me to wonder whether some might have a way
> of using highly effective Truestone slingstones, a la Uz
> "Stones-to-kill-Chaos". Maybe *that's* why the followers of Barzaan Storm
> Khan want to keep their hands on every fragment? (Or are slings a bit
> sophisticated for the Bullies? :-)

Given that Truestone seems to be resistant to chaos, and that it is related
to memory.... Another use, as compared to plot devices or magic items is to use them for preservation?

Might one of the uses of it is for those heroes going to realms where they
will lose themselves, and thus they put a bit of themselves into the truestone,
they carry, in order to remember who they are, and what they are doing.

(Oh, right, got to kill those chaos champions and close that gate... I'm not allowed to collapse into a writhing mass of chaos until then....)

Or if not for themselves, are there heroquests that must be repeated to preserves one's people, and that leave the questers shattered? It may help them recover, or at least, allows their replacements to learn what would be otherwise lost? A black box of sorts, full of "Oh Sh<crackle>."

Steven White
No homage to ADOM or to Expendables here... move on. Nothing to see.