Re: Post Easter Questions: wealth vs cash

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:24:19 -0400

"Hibbs, Philip" wrote:

> >Hmmm, so a cow is worth 1000L then (ish)? Seems
> >to me a cow should be worth less, but how much?
>
> That depends on how much you need the cow, how good the cow is, how good the
> harvest was last year, etc.
>
> As I understand it, coins in your pocket don't make a wealth rating. Wandering
> adventurers who are not part of a community probably don't have a wealth rating
> at all, just a bunch of valuable posessions. To have a wealth rating, you have
> to have some or all of the following: reputation, prospects, relatives,
> friends, rights to clan lands, political clout, etc.

Good point, Phillip.

What I do, with my group, is use Resources, rather than Wealth.

It gives a better feel of what they can get from their moderately well off lifesytle.

Any coins they have is 'wealth' and can be augmented by drawing on their resources or by things they find. Many of the rewards I give out are permanent Wealth (resources) such as 'thank you! In payment, please have half the sheep that the poacher had. Now that you have stopped his depradations, we are much better off.' (add +1 or +2 Resources without cementing as end of game reward)

Wealth, as coin, has to be cemented (and turns into Resources at a rate of 1/10, rounding up). Of course, this means that the players eagerly barter their coinage for things like Cows, Sheep, Chainmail and better equipment.... before its all gone. Just like a prospector hitting town, the gold's sooon gone and you're looking for more.

Fortunately, Sheep keep you warm at night.

Jeff