Re: Examples of Magical Weapons & Hero Quest Prizes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:41:42 -0800

> I was wondering if folk could provide some examples of magical items such
as
> weapons and torcs, and HQ-gained prizes and feats at the level of clan
> champions and experienced heroes. I'm particularly interested in unusual
> abilities and their game implementation. Can we go beyond edges and
bonuses?
> Weapons with personality? Strong geases, unpleasant side effects? Inbound
> daimones that can end up running the show? That require unpleasant
> sacrifices or blood?

Of course, all of the above.

Using the "Ambiguous Reference" rule (HW 29), you (as either narrator or player) are allowed to name an object, and figure out what it does later. Some items may provide full abilities (a claok that allows you to Fly, say, or a Torc that grants the Command Clan secret from Orlanth Dar.) Curses/Geases can be handled as specific abilities that work against the holder, Personality might make a sword a Follower, or just give it "Vain 3w3". Bound Daemons & Spirits (of the sort that take over the body) can use the Heroforming rules - but without the hero's wanting it to happen!

Basically, anything is possible (and I *know* you have a store-house of old Irish, Norse, Mycenean, Babylonian, etc. legends to call on to make up nasty stuff...). If a Hero can have an ability, he can have it through the agency of an item.

A minor item would have ability ratings in the none-to-one mastery range, while powerful or quest-found ones could concievably be w4 or more (but then the hero basically becomes the item's carrier: "Hi, I'm Excalibur, and this is my man, Arthur"...)

RR