Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:47:25 -0000

> Nope, becuase the rules-as-printed already allow you to represent
> injuries and see blood and guts through AP losses; they are just
not
> the starting points but the end points of a mechanical resiolution
> proicess. Hell, you could give wounds to people who WIN contests
or
> exchanges if you felt it was dramatically appropriate. AFAIAC
wounds
> are merely a way to explain AP loss.

This holds no water whatsoever as an explanation of AP. No matter how many AP you have, so long as it's positive, you have the same skill you started with, unless your opponent has inflicted some wounds, either 7 AP exchange Penalties or Grievous Wounds. We know what 'Hurts', 'Penalties' and 'Injuries' do, they are in the rules. And AP loss does not do anything like the same. Two minutes (or however long you require for PCs to recover AP) after a battle, the winner could walk away unscathed no matter how many AP he lost, no matter how hard the fight, or how lucky he was to win. And as for 'you could give wounds to people who WIN contests or exchanges if you felt it was dramatically appropriate', that just proves how unrealistic the situation is, when the solution is yet more arbitrary decisions with no rules to back them up. The system has enough of those imbedded in it as it is.

Wulf