Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:51:13 -0000

David Dunham wrote:
> Me neither. If I'd written this, both initiates and devotees would
roll for the listed feats at their target number. Only devotees would be able to improvise new feats.

Neil Smith wrote:
>You're not the first to have thought that: look at the last of my
house rules at http://home.freeuk.net/roleplaying/hw-house- rules.html . I'd like to see this change make its way into HW2.

For reasons that I think Mark Galeotti expressed best (the visions of every Heortling running up cliffs, and leaping into the sunset). I prefer the modern interpretation of the current rules: Initiates and Devotees both augment without penalty, but only Devotees get feats, though Initiates can ask for greater magic at lower chance. Itthink that calling what both Initiates and Devotees do 'improvisation' may add to the confusion. IMO, Devotees can improvise new feats at a penalty. Initiates can ask for more specific help. But, I agree the extra 30% of time that devotees pay ought to cost them something in game terms too.

Ian Cooper