Re: Joe can fly

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:50:19 EST

In a message dated 22/01/02 20:56:15, you write:

<< How many of you (as narrators) would allow a player to take an obviously  non-natural ability for a starting character? For instance, would you  allow a starting character to have "Fly", "Spit Fire" or "Breathe Water"?  (assuming that these are normal humans, not Windchildren, Dragons or  Fish :-) ). Would you make these abilities "more expensive" than, say, "Run"  or "Ride"? (by more expensive, would you ask for more than "Joe can Fly" in  a 100-word character, or take up more than one slot in a List character).

 Roderick >>

I wouldn't allow a blunt "Joe can fly". I would allow "joe can fly because he knows the way of the wanderwind" or something ("taught by seaguls?") with a few extras vague reference words, ie I need something to tie the abiliy to the character. I wouldn't allow "Joe can eat" for similar reasons. Whether this would be more expensive is open to question because from my example I might allow "way of the wanderwind" ("relationship : seagulls) as well.

Keith
("seagulls" probably not a good example)