Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:30:23 +0000

> From: "t_m_ellis" <tim_at_...>
>
>I think its something Greg said. I'm not completly convinced myself -
> The core of the concept is if you have a mastery you can't fumble,
>and no one would buy bread of a baker who was in the habit of
>fumbling his "make loaf" roll. It does however skip the important
>concept that you only need to roll when it is "important to the
>story", and even normally competent people can fail spectacularly
>under pressure...

>From memory I thought Greg's positation (last Convulsion) was that
competent adults would usually have a mastery in their best ability (usually an occupational ability like "Know farm animal" or "Hunting"). I think Benedicts' version of a mastery "in all their core abilities" seems to go slightly further than I remember Greg proposing.

In my game I take this view about most mature adults (in their 30s and 40s). Young adults tend to have skills in the 13-17 range unless they've specialized a lot.

Thom