Re: Post Easter Questions: wealth vs cash

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:33:23 -0400

Dave Bailey wrote:

> All,
>
> I agree generally with all you both say, but bringing back a large amount of
> cash wealth to your village would bring reputation, open up prospects, find
> you long "lost" relatives, "friends", options to lands and certainly in the
> well "oiled" lunar lands political system some influnance. So I'm assuming
> here that in cementing the wealth increase the friends saty, you get the
> lands and the prospects materialise otherwise you've been fleeced, conned
> and spent unwisely.

Hence the 'money dries up and blows away'... Its pretty typical of the heroic genre, IMHO. Besides, I never liked the money for money's sake aspect of some RPGS. Thta's a personal opinion, of course. And, if I recall correctly, the vast cost of training people in earlier versions of RQ was the menthod used to drain away unwanted PC cash.

Now, you just give it to your chief...

> Here's the other thing though, in a largely cashless orlanthi society I'm
> also assuming that 1000L in cash is only worth it's weight in precious
> metals. Would they actually contain precious metals or are they, much like
> modern coinage, worthless out of context?
>
> Dave.

The money is pure metal, or nearly pure from what I have read over the years. Not sure how adulterated the metal is in some of them. Of course, most gold coins are made by magic and probably are harder than they would be here...

Good question, though.

Jeff