Re: "scripting" contests

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:28:31 -0500

Gareth Martin wrote:

>I was just wondering what folks might think of a
>GM being VERY proactive and aggressive in framing
>extended contests.

I see nothing wrong with it, as long as the Narrator does not completely dismiss the results of the players' actions. It's always appropriate to have an outcome in mind for any contest, even several outcomes based on the degree of victory or defeat achieved. That is considered preparation, in most circles.

>The concern I see with this is that players might
>object to such aggressive framing. It implies...
>that the GM is being less than totally honest as
>far as the contest goes;

Some players react poorly to what they perceive as "railroading", especially those who lack experience with a more story-oriented style of play. Explain to them that dramatic needs may overshadow other concerns when interpreting the results of an exchange or contest, in order to enhance its overall outcome for everyone involved. The Narrator's foremost responsibility is, after all, to tell a good story. There is no malice in providing the players and heroes with the sense and satisfaction of a hard-won victory. Give the players time to adjust, and the concept will grow on them eventually.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and