OK, I was wrong again...

From: gary.sturgess_at_...
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:39:19 +0800

Kmnellist says:

>>I'm stumped; the only avenue left to explore would be some sort of
>>variant 1st mastery bumps up, next one bumps down mess that would
>>be unplayable even if it happened to be statistically viable.
>
>if you get rid of the pseudo-base 20 number notation, using base 10
>instead, you can do away with the Wtag, use straight arabic numeral
>and, in addition, use 1D12-1 for contest resolution, with zero as a
>critical, and 11 as a fumble. Changes the ratio of Hero Points to
>Ability ratings, (but you could always increase the cost of ability
>increases).

As it turns out, my panic was unjustified. It's what you get when you work things out by hand rather than rely on my trusty computer program.

TRUST THE COMPUTER. THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND. "Friend Computer!"
- - YES, CITIZEN?
"Can I have the comparison of a 20 skill vs 1w in my suggested bump-down variant?"
- - WHAT IS YOUR SECURITY CLEARANCE CITIZEN? "Uh, Red, Friend..."
- - I'M SORRY, CITIZEN. THAT INFORMATION IS NOT AVAILABLE. HAVE A NICE DAY...
"Bugger..."

[[ We draw a veil over the scene which followed, in which the loyal Computer was treasonously attacked with a laser assisted by some Commie Mutant Power. ]]

OK, here's the comparison...

     20 vs 1w  1w vs 20
NAR   0.00%     0.00%
CV    0.00%     0.25%
MJV   0.25%     4.50%
MNV   9.00%     4.75%
MGV   0.00%     0.00%
TIE   0.00%     0.00%
MGD  81.00%    81.00%
MND   4.75%     9.00%
MJD   4.50%     0.25%
CD    0.50%     0.25%

As can be seen, the problem is actually that such a contest is likely to result in both sides facing marginal defeat, due to the fact that both parties are likely to fail.

This isn't necessarily a bad result, but if it was considered undesirable then a further fix would be to treat all cases when both parties fail as if both had succeeded (that is, remove the special case for cancelled masteries and treat it as the general case). That changes things to:

     20 vs 1w  1w vs 20
NAR   0.00%     0.00%
CV    0.00%     0.25%
MJV   0.25%     4.50%
MNV   9.00%     4.75%
MGV  38.25%    38.25%
TIE   4.50%     4.50%
MGD  38.25%    38.25%
MND   4.75%     9.00%
MJD   4.50%     0.25%
CD    0.50%     0.25%

This looks pretty reasonable to me. The 1w has a slight edge - he's not more likely to actually win, but if he does then he's more likely to get a major victory than the 20.
- --