Re: "scripting" contests

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:51:48 -0000

> No, it is not (well, it's a real narrator's job, but not a HW
> referee's job). The HW narrator's 'responsibility' is to entertain
> and be entertained. If all you want to do is tell a story, why not

I suggets that a part of Being Entertaining is proper preparation and construction os scenes etc.

> listening, that's fine. But if they actually want to play, what's
> the point of them turning up?

Umm, to play?

> And where is this sense of victory knowing that your actions have
> been secondary, or even inconsequential, to the narrator's script?

All that suggests is that it should not be done in a manenr that challenges suspension of disbelief.

> That's my whole objection right there. This idea completely removes
> any and all sense of achievement. If the PCs win, by their own
> actions, fine. If they don't, tough. All the narrator should be

But, if I allowed PC death to happen as often as it should by RW experience, the players would keep getting negatively reinforced; I already manipulate the outcomes because in fact I do ont conspire to kill the characters.