Re: "scripting" contests

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:45:22 -0500

Jim Chapin wrote:

>The proper gamemastering style seems to me to be
>a balance between the gamemaster's narrative, the
>player's actions, and chance. Without all 3, you
>are doing something, but it isn't a role-playing
>game.

I agree with your first two assumptions but chance, especially in the form of randomization, is never a requirement. There are several very satisfying deterministic roleplaying games on the market (AMBER DICELESS, THEATRIX anf EVERWAY come to mind). The balance between player and narrator, between narrative and character, is essential.

>The balance point between the three is really...
>different from game to game and from gamemaster
>to gamemaster and from player to player.

And thus is the inevitable "matter of taste" which causes so much contention on roleplaying lists and newsgroups worldwide. :)

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and