Re: Re: Spending Hero Points

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:50:01 -0700

> Being a meany, I'd probably require the hero point to change the
> level of success, just so you could screw up and accidentally hurt
> someone (like using rebated weapons in Pendragon). I can see
> arguments for the other way (success should mean you did what you
> wanted to do) but that can be hard to work with.

You Meany!

My own personal feeling is that a "critical" (call it what you will, in any system) means that you do exactly what you mean to do, not just hit harder (to take the obvious example of combat). So if you want to knock someone unconcious with the flat of your sword and roll a critical, you've knocked him out, not cut his head off. A fumble in this circumstance would be that you did, indeed, cut his head off. Pendragon's rebated weapons aren't quite in this example, as the knights are not trying to really hurt each other, but when you have dull-but-full-weight weapons, accidents happen. Heck, the SCA has plenty of stories of getting injuries (mostly broken bones) from wooden weapons in "friendly" combat. It's a GM/Narrator/Dm call, but I tend to go towards the player's intent.

> Hannu asked about the schedule. I've had a hard time getting hold of
> Greg lately (Issaries just completed a move to a new location), but
> my guess is they're not back from the printer yet. Maybe Roderick has
> details.

As the message that David hadn't gotten to yet says (sorry), he expects to get the final pieces and collate the boxes next week. Greg's email is pretty screwed up (I'm not if as part of the move, or just as an additional annoyance), adding to the "not able to get a hold of him" problem.

RR