Re: "scripting" contests

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:25:54 +0000

> From: "Milos Rasic" <mrasic_at_...>
>
>Human mind can never be random enough, if it can be random at all.

People are terrible at generating random number sequences (it has been used as a sort of test of cognitive effort because it is so hard).

However, by the same token the last thing we want in a game is true randomness. In my opinion we strive for unpredictable* but meaningful patterns in our games. Most games use random processes to spice up fairly mundane decisions. Typically, we go out of our way to make sure these random processes are overwhelmed by meaningful predictors of behaviour (sword attack 90%, close combat 5W, 10th level fighter).

I suspect most of the scripting arguments are slightly at cross purposes. I really can't imagine that anyone on this list really goes _only_ by the dice when they narrate Hero Wars, or that anyone _completely_ ignores them.

I usually script out my scenarios in outline form (often in a very linear fashion). What emerges depends on the luck and resourcefulness of my players. So far they have achieved a number of unexpected things (ranging from causing the Chief to go mad, beating up the clan lawspeaker and slaying a supposedly recurring villain on his first appearance). Some of these things seriously derailed some of my plans, but nevertheless greatly enhanced the experience. In fact I'm pretty sure that being able to de-rail my scripts was part of the whole fun. (i.e., having the script was important, as was having the possibility (with effort, of derailing it.).

Thom