Re: Scenes,augmentation and ranks

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 09:35:55 -0800

Christian asks:

>I don�t know if anybody knows the manga-comic book"Eden"by Hiroki Endo.

Err, nope, don't read manga, sorry.

>The troopers are distracted and Kenji jumps of a rooftop(maybe 2,5 m
high)on the first >trooper,slamming the knife right through the helmet into his head.Then sommersaulting off his >shoulders to the next trooper and cutting his throat[thats kind of super ninja-i admit :-)]
>How would you resolve that?this is an extended contest.

It doesn't have to be an EC, of course, but assuming that's the way you want it...

Are the three troopers individuals or are they one leader and two followers? How experienced are they? (Probably one-mastery guys?)

>The attack is surely augmented by the
>extra force that comes from the "falling off" the rooftop and the Ap bid
should be very >high,because of the risky nature of the maneuvre.But as i see it,this is an augment the narrator >decides-you dont really roll for this,do you?

It depends - the player can say "I'm going to augment my attack by jumping off the roof" and roll for an augment normally (note that the negative augments rules really come into play here - blow the roll and there is ample reason to give a negative augment!). Or, the player can say "I leap onto the trooper" and the narrator (being the kindly soul he is) says "Okay, I'll give you a +x Edge for falling damage"

>So how much edge would you give for that attack?

Less than 5 yards, probably a +2 edge.

>From there i come to another question.In HW Ap�s are not hitpoints but,how
well you are doin in >a contest.Edges or weaponranks give you advantages,still there are some times,where there should >be something impossible.Judging from ranks there is no impossible.Even if ranks cancel each other >out,you can still attack and be successful.I would actually say,its not very probable to be able to >slam a knife through a military helmet into someones head and kill him.I mean a helmet is designed >to stop bullets and thus knifes as well.In RQ you had definite armourpoints against definite damage >points,so with the exception of criticals you could say,you can penetrate or you cant.This is not the >case in HW.So has the narrator the last word,when it comes to possibilities?Are there cases where >there is a simple no-go.Like you can�t penetrate the wall with your arrow and kill the one who�s >standing behind it ?Or is it all a matter of what you like and whats dramatic and nice for the flow of >the story?

Yes, the narrator has final say on what is or isn't possible. She can say "no, you can't do it" (it's usually better to say "well, you try but it simply bounces off", or "C'mon, you know better than that!" ). Of course, magic can make all the difference - a normal unmagic'd arrow can't penetrate a stone wall, but I bet there is at least *one* group out there that can fire arrows through stone all day long.

Can a knife penetrate a helmet? Well, in the universe of Eden it can, so the game set there should reflect that it is possible (at least if the hero is on a par with Kenji). Heck, the hero doesn't even have to use a knife - "I jump on his shoulders. Grabbing his neck, I somersault and snap it, then follow through, using his body as a whip and hitting the next trooper in the face whith his steel-shod boots"

In HW terms, it's a double attack (-3), but depending on the opposition, he could easily do it. Assuming that the troopers have only a single mastery, Kenji has a 2-bump advantage, meaning anything but a Fumble will be bumped to a Critical. Couple that with a "High Ap bid for a really risky maneuver" and you've easily got two troopers down. Trooper 3 is now face to face with a hero that not only has his original AP, but he probably got a transfer from the exchange as well (think of it as a *big* morale loss to Trooper 3!). It's not something a non-Kenji should think about doing, though! A leap like the one you describe might knock the opponent(s) sprawling (how many Star Trek episodes, Ahnahld movies, or A-Team gigs have someone leap onto a whole group of enemies?), but not take them out in one shot.

RR

RR