Re: Scenes,augmentation and ranks

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:54:10 +0000

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:59:07 +0100, <zero-c_at_...> wrote:

>The troopers are distracted and Kenji jumps of a rooftop(maybe 2,5 m
>high)on the first trooper,slamming the knife right through the helmet
>into his head.Then sommersaulting off his shoulders to the next
>trooper and cutting his throat[thats kind of super ninja-i admit :-)]
>How would you resolve that?this is an extended contest.

  1. this is the END of an Extended Contest. The actual contest was Ambush vs. Spot Ambush. He's already won enough to drive them below -10 AP, now he administers Coup de Gras.
  2. Close Combat augmented by Ambush and Acrobatics (with a possible bonus for position).

>The attack is surely augmented by the extra force that comes from the
>"falling off" the rooftop and the Ap bid should be very high,because
>of the risky nature of the maneuvre.But as i see it,this is an augment
>the narrator decides-you dont really roll for this,do you?

Why not? You decide

a) when to jump
b) how carefully
c) directly on top of the trooper
d) knife first (a painful way to fail the jump)

>So how much
>edge would you give for that attack?

Well, Edge, like weapon Rank, is pathetically undervalued in HW, but given categories a-d above, I'd say pretty hefty. He's putting his entire body weight, over a decent falling distance, onto the point of a knife.

One thing more. If this is a decently modern story, the trooper may be wearing a kevlar helmet. Kevlar is enormously resistant to impact and deformation (as with bullets), but is very easily cut. This has been a problem with so-called 'bulletproof' vests worn by police. Now, I have never checked out a military helmet and the way it's constructed, but for game purposes I'd be willing to say it offered less resistance to a knife than to a bullet!

>From there i come to another question.In HW Apīs are not hitpoints
>but,how well you are doin in a contest.

I think in terms of my current bid strategy. If I'm bidding in 10 AP lots, and he's got 30 AP left, I need 3 more wins. How likely is that? He's bidding in 20 AP lots, and I only have 6 AP. I'm in trouble, regardless of how well I'm doing, I only have to lose one roll.

>Edges or weaponranks give you advantages,still there are some
>times,where there should be something impossible.

Like I say, weapon Ranks and Edges are practically worthless in HW. They should be at least doubled for any sort of realism (a word that will no doubt raise cries of 'sacrilege' here).

Nonetheless, unless you are just slamming the weapon against the opponent's best protected point, there IS sense in allowing low Rank weapons beat high Rank armour. An man with a dagger can win against a fully armoured medaeval knight - he would strike for the eyes, flexible joints, etc - high AP bids and good rolls.

Wulf