RE: Re: Notation again

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:03:00 -0000

David wrote:

> The rune notation support speed of play, at least to a degree (since
> it's your actual target number). What slows things down is that the
> game system has too many of them, so you too frequently need to
> convert them to APs.

Quite agree. Back when "mastery meant mastery" (i.e. throughout playtest right up until the Rules came out), it was easier. Also, of course, with fewer masteries the original notation was still possible, so 3w2 was written 3ww -- much easier for a newcomer to follow, as there's only one number.

People who don't know that "in Glorantha, W means 'mastery'" have a harder time seeing why this makes sense. And they're the newcomers we want to attract to play the game. I've played in a Traveller game at a con using Hero Wars mechanics (without any presentational changes), and have seen that the standard notation is hard for newcomers to understand.

BTW, I admire the long-ago poster on one of these lists who was planning to use HW rules for a Pirates game, replacing wibbles with skull&xbones icons. I like that train of thought.

Cheers, Nick