Re: Spending Hero Points

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:03:06 -0700

Roderick answered me

> My own personal feeling is that a "critical" (call it what you will, in any
> system) means that you do exactly what you mean to do, not just hit harder
> (to take the obvious example of combat). So if you want to knock someone
> unconcious with the flat of your sword and roll a critical, you've knocked
> him out, not cut his head off. A fumble in this circumstance would be that
> you did, indeed, cut his head off. Pendragon's rebated weapons aren't quite
> in this example, as the knights are not trying to really hurt each other,
> but when you have dull-but-full-weight weapons, accidents happen.

I was perhaps too brief: if I recall correctly, when you critical in Pendragon, using rebated weapons, you do actual damage.

But I do understand the "succeed at intent" argument, and might even use it if it ever comes up.

Which, BTW, it never has in any of our playtesting -- we always use Hero Points to improve our success.

(Aside to Roderick: I read the list in Digest form, saves on the size of my In Box.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein