Re: Follower abilities

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:32:31 -0000

Tim Ellis wrote:
> Some suggestions.
  1. Base the Followers skills off the Relationship: (follower) rather than the best skill

I see what you are driving at but it is still a cheap package buy for your HP.

> 2) Base the followers skills off the average of the PC's best 5
skills rather than the best skill - this will just slow down the followers improvement rate.

Possible. I did consider basing it off the hero's most applicable skill. This works fine, but in play repeats our decision - treat followers as AP batteries only, which I am happy with.

The advantage with our way of doing things is that a merchant can still have a bodyguard, who provides lots of AP to help keep him alive, but because we use the merchant's cose combat (fudge as the bodyguard is busy defending his employer, so skill is weaker) preventing him from dominating the contest over warriors whose job fighting is.

> 3) Require the spending of HP's to improve followers abilities - If
the follower is using keywords then this is still quite cheap.

Which is what I am suggesting doing to allies - supporting characters who do have an identity, can act, but are not automatically replaced.

Nice suggestions, but I am really still happier with the followers cannot be an actor, only provide AP or augments rule. Followers to use are just that nameless replaceable minions. Allies are something more, but subject to greater narrator play.

Ian Cooper