Re: Following the Leader....

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:28:30 -0600

At 4:45 AM +0000 3/11/02, Roland wrote:
>Peter Larse:
>> Heler was a leader of a great people, so he might have a
>> leader sub-cult, etc.
>
>One would assume that Heler's leadership subcult was either: 1)
>worshipped primarily by Helerings to whom Heler would have been more
>important; or, 2) nonexistent, since Heler is Orlanth's "staunchest
>ally". He really seems much more of Orlanth's sidekick among the
>Heortlings, who are, after all, Vingkotlings. Presumably among the
>Helerings he would have taken on a much more important role, with a
>somewhat larger variety of subcults (although they're rather
>numerous already...)

        I imagine that #1 is definitely true. #2 is false, I think, as Heler ruled a vast people once. His "sidekick" role is more a factor of how the Heortlings see him than any inherent quality (I'm sure the Helerings had their own stories of why the god joined with Orlanth (or vise versa)). Of course, the Helerings are mostly (completely?) dead now, and any sub-cults that might give leadership magics on a par with Dar are unknown to the Heortlings. As we've seen, Maran is worshipped differently in Tarsh and Sartar, so why not Heler? Certainly if a Heler-worshiping player characters wanted to quest for the lost secrets of Helering leadership, it would be a mean-spirited Narrator who would deny any chance of success....

Peter Larsen