Re: Possibly OT: HW Ancient Rome?

From: Graham Spearing <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:58:15 +0000

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> I'm working on an Ancient Roman Empire campaign of sorts, and I'm wondering how
> it might work in HW terms.

I have been thinking of a couple of games using Hero Wars. One set in Middle Earth and one set in late Roman Britain.

The Roman game could be based not long after the departure of the Legions from Britain c409 AD? Essentialy I was thinking of running a historical 'Aurthurian' game with the players as either Britains getting hammered, or Saxon mercenaries coming in to Britain. Sources are some texts on Roman Britain, including one on Londinium, and a critique of Gildas. I was thinking of setting the game initially in Londinium. I was gong for low levels of 'magic'. It was either that or something at the height of Roman power in an earlier period.

It may all come to nothing, but I'll enjoy the history anyway :-)

Would be interested in any Keyword progress you make.

Graham