Re: Villains

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:49:12 -0700

> Are there any formulas or recommendations in the template or is it merely
> form for listing all components?

Just the form right now.

> If there are any details beyond that page layout, could you let us know
> what they are?

Frankly (and I probably shouldn't be revealing secrets like this) we (the editors) are still going by guess and by golly.

Some hints -

If the RQ cult teaches a skill that is reasonably part of a HW Occupation (such as all the Healer cults that teach First Aid), then it doesn't get included in the Magic Keyword - but if it teaches a subset (Humakt teaches Greatsword, frex) then include it. The same skill should not be duplicated in the occupation and magic keywords.

Try to identify two-four areas of magic that the god specializes in. These are the gods affinities. Figure out how broad you want the affinity to be - does Mallia have a "Disease" affinity (including Cause and Cure), or "Cause Disease" and "Cure Disease" as two different affinities? Unless the cult is for Heroes, you don't have to be too specific here, due to the nature of the game. For each affinity, name 3-5 feats. If you want to specify what they do (as opposed to just having an obscure name), go ahead. Does the god have a Secret Power?It doesn't have to, or you can add it later when your heroes are able to face Secret-wielding cultists.

If you are translating a cult from RQ to HW, then a lot of the social and mythic roles of the cult will already be arrticulated, as will the worshippers, prevalence, etc. If you are creating a new cult, then you have the fun of deciding how widespread worship of the god is, at least in your corner of Glorantha. While there isn't really room for many more pantheons/great gods to be invented out of the whole cloth, there are plenty of mid or low-level gods & deified heroes, even in Dragon Pass.

RR