Re: Magical augments a little extreme

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:13:57 +0100 (BST)

Wesley:
> Now, we can't decide if this is a true depiction of
how deadly a hero that has time to prepare can be - or if this represents a broken system.For the time being we are assuming the former.<

Julian:
>IMO this is a fairly accurate depiction of Gloranthan
magic.<

Besides looking at Morden Defends the Camp to see how tough Morden is when in his hero-light, consider the text of the battle of night and day:

http://www.glorantha.com/new/battle_nightday.html

The protagonists become so powerful it as if the gods were present. Magic is drawing the Other Side into this - crank it up enough and you don't just emulate Orlanth a bit, but its like he is there. IMO big Glornathan battles are titanic struggles. Think Sauron in the opener for Lord Of The Rings cutting his way through the enemy troops. That's the kind of power that can be unleashed.

PS I am restricted to a digest interface on this debate at the moment as hw-rules seems to send 'zero sized replies' to my browser, sorry it my response is out of synch with the thrust of the debate now

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com