Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:06:07 +0100

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:55:49 GMT, Terry Harvey-Chadwick <terryhc_at_...> wrote:

>As I stated before, my preferred way of using affinities and feats are
>to use affinities for augments and feats for "special moves".

I do quite like this I must admit, but the description of feats and augmentation seems to explicitly allow augmentation by multiple feats.

>Doing
>things this way, my games don't get these problems with player
>characters "powering up" to monsterous levels. Of course, some feats
>are obviously designed to give you an augmentation, such as [Weapon]
>Help, but I cannot see how a narrator could allow a player character to
>use all feats in an affinity to only provide bonuses, such that a
>player character could raise his skill by a mastery or more.

Interestingly, in my case, it wasn't a case of multiple feats anyway. A few feats, a mundane ability of Agile, special armour, the Warband Guardian (a weak one, only +3) and a personality trait (see later). Average only +2-3 each. Not actually difficult, and some of them (the armour, Agile and personality) could easily be counted as 'automatic augments' as has been suggested here and in BA, so we are currently allowing these PLUS one deliberate mundane augment. I am not against multiple feat augments, that's not a great problem to me. It's just the grand total that worries me...

>Many of
>the feats, if you use them to augment, obviously are more inclined to
>give you an edge, and there are some feats, such as Deep Cut, that I
>won't allow to give a bonus.

However, if you are in a Simple Contest, there's not much choice. And as far as Simple Contests not NEEDINg augments, as some have suggested, we quite frequently have 'scenes' involving multiple contests in rapid succession, most Simple, with the main event Extended - is it fair to penalise the characters because the bad guys aren't all the same level of threat?

>year or so of playing Hero Wars with my group, we've never come across
>any of the "problems" described in this discussion so far.

We're just starting to see the possibility of them, given our characters are still under 2 masteries, and I'd far rather be aware of the possible problem BEFORE it becomes a problem!

>feats and affinites. Look at them, and do the first thing with them
>that comes to mind. I guarantee that you will get a nice 50/50 split
>between bonus and edge augments. Hey presto: a balanced game.

50/50 still means 2-3 feats per affinity suited to Bonuses though. More if you add new feats.

Wulf