Re: augmented obscenity.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:39:54 +0100 (BST)

Charles:
> - I want to game in a world where a player character could ultimately
> take out Harreck and his band, so I don't see "augmented obscenity".

I think on the contrary, this is entirely _not_ the point; in fact, as I commented earlier, if you do want your scope of play to include such things, the last of all possible things you want are augmentation rules that turn in nonsense at high power levels. (Let's suppose the big H has a "killing things related" affinity in the 20W4 ballpark. That's worth about +22 (!) per minimally different feat he can think of to employ. Is that really helping either the mechanics or the verisimilitude of Harrek-slaying?) If you want a high-end game, it seems to me that resolving contests at the W4 mark is the simpler and cleaner way of resolving them than pumping them up to the W12 mark (assuming a Harrek and a Harrek-pumper both "octuple-augmenting"), which seems to me to be both a mechanical nuisance, and a game world nonsense.

> if you want one rule that breaks the system,
> just look at the Lunar ability rating multipliers for the phases of
> the Moon.

*polite cough* Yes, you may well think that... (And you'd be entirely right to do so, candidly.)

Cheers,
Alex.