Re: player freedom vs gloranthan norms

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 14:28:18 -0400

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > >Invisible Orlanthi or Eurmali, sure, but its probably an
> > >affinity with some difficulty (perhaps a D+20 or so)
> >
> > That's what I'd expect, but I don't remember seeing "invisibility" listed
> as a
> > difficult magic.
>
> The difficulty chart is meant as a starting point for your own chart. If
> invisibility is a game-breaker for your group (like it seems for Jeff K),
> then you add it to the list. If everyone and his brother has "Detect
> Invisible" as an ability, then you don't need to add it. The Difficult Magic
> list is *not* intended to be exclusive.
>
> RR

I did not think the list was excusive. On the other hand, Wesley's pointed out that the Movement Affinity can be nicely used for teleporting about without being a Mastakos fanatic. Of course, the Mastakos subcult just might provide much easier versions of these feats -- which is a good reason to join as any.

Not a game breaker but it certainly is a creativity 'no-brainer.' I'd much prefer to have players (and narrators) think their way in and out.

But I'm old fashioned, grumpy and my arthritis is bugging me. So I could be wrong.

Jeff