Re: Re: player freedom vs gloranthan norms

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:16:28 -0500

>It could also be tricky where the GM is more glorantha-savvy than the
>players
>"It's a great Char-gen system, you can have any ability you want"
>"Oh good, I'll be a half-orc"
>"Umm, there are no Orc's in Glorantha"
>"but there are elves, aren't there?"
>"yes..."
>"OK, I'll play a half-elf, and I'll have a flaming sword...."
>
>... Guess that one will be an "open" campaign then...

"Of course, the closest thing to a half-Orc in Glorantha is a Tusk Rider, so that's an option; if you want to play a strong, tough humanoid, you probably want to play a tusk-rider or a dark troll, or maybe an ogre if you want to pass for human. Half-elves? Elves are humanoid plants; their life is tied to the forest they came from, and some of them hibernate in the winter. They even grow from seeds, so human/elf hybrids are VERY rare. Besides, humans who try to mate with trolls usually end up with some loathsome disease or infestation. Dwarfs? Yes, they live underground, but they're very paranoid about outsiders, and won't share any of their guns or neat little gizmos with them; they are tremendously agorophobic, an shoot anybody who ventures into one of their mines."

Flaming swords I wouldn't have much problem with.

Guy

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To