Re: I forget the subject line, but, Edwards-style AP-lending.

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 17:02:52 -0000

> It's this artificial difference between someone "out of the
contest",
> but not suffering consequences yet, and someone after the contest is
> over _for other people_ that is precisely what I'm pointing out the
> whackiness of.

I guess I consider it a feature and you consider it a bug.

>And no, it's not been "a problem in play" for me either:
> it had quite honestly never occurred to me to run it that way.
(Yes,
> when someone is knocked out of the contest I would be fudgey about
> _immediate_ attempts to help him, but delayed-action last minute
> rescues don't seem to me to hold much in the way of dramatic
appeal.)

Initially I thought we were talking about immediate attempts, and the difference between jumping in and waiting your action later in the same turn. I think I must have blinked and missed something in this discussion.

I don't think I'd be wildly impressed if some players started to try to string out the combat so that someone else could run around healing. As narrator I do of course have a degree of control to prevent overt silliness, even if the players are only bidding 1AP per action the narrator characters can still bid high AP (in a bid to run away perhaps) and end the contest rather than be played with like a mouse with a cat. I'd be surprised if my group ever tried anything quite that rules-lawyery anyway.

On the other hand immediately rushing over as soon as you have defeated your immediate opponent is the sort of thing I would expect, doing this I would allow more flexibility in abilities used than just Healing magic.

--
Nic