Re: RE: Heroquest question

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:01:28 +0100

On Sun, 26 May 2002 14:08:30 +0100, "Roger McCarthy" <rogermccarthy_at_btopenworld.com> wrote:

>As Roderick specifically asked and I was at all the relevant seminars the
>main HQ changes/clarifications I recall were:
>
>EDGES
>These will be dropped other than as an option (given that they are included
>in already published HW books) - instead weapons and armour will simply give
>characters extra AP's (i.e. will work as if they were spirits).
>
>I mentioned the suggestion made on this list that we treat all weapons,
>armour etc as named items (e.g greatsword 5w, leather and bronze armour 15)
>and use these to generate bonuses which Greg said was more or less what they
>had in mind.

Hmm... the difference between bonuses (which I can see working) and AP (which I can't quite see yet) is pretty big, AP won't help you at all in Simple Contests, of course... But I'll wait and see the solution.

>MAGIC
>Apparently animists will no longer be able to fully integrate spirits (which
>always struck me as rather chaotic sounding).

Huh? Not able to integrate into THEMSELVES (which would presumably require an exception for Hsunchen, and make Talents, as currently used, impossible), or AT ALL (which would mean only Shamans get reusable spirits AT ALL)?

>Generally you will raise whole keywords rather than the separate skills (no
>HP cost was given for this) and where you do have a higher skill within the
>keyword it will probably be written in the format Warrior 19: close combat
>+8, Running +2 or something similar but Greg has no particular hang-up about
>how you represent this.

Hmm... simpler, presumably cheaper in HP than raising all Abilities individually, but it begins to sound very like a DD&D style class system, raise the lot all at once, whether they've actually been used or not...

>PUBLICATION SCHEDULE
>Greg did give the impression we will still see the Hero Book as a separate
>publication 'soon' and that this would come out before HQ and give us most
>of the new rules.

That sounds good, then.

Wulf