Re: Edges

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:28:59 -0000

> Leaving aside questions of what rate, and whether it is generally
> desirable to have weapons and armour affect the contest so much (it
> is easier to ignore edges ...)

I'd say it was as easy to ignore a source of AP as an Edge, but at least additional AP need only be included once at the start of each EC, not every exchange. An acceptable nutral ground between the pro- and con- camps of weapon/armour Ranks.

> >What concerns me is how armour & weapons affect Simple
> >Contests, where AP are irrelevant.
>
> Just "back-translate" the AP to an ability score at whatever rate
> seems appropriate (for example if your equipment gives you +15AP in
> an extended contest (but no boost to your score) it might give you
+3
> in a simple contest (where AP have no effect)

Actually, if we use the current Augmentation Table (the only place
where AP, Bonuses & Edges are currently compared (erm... barring the
HQ rules, which I think are the same...), ^3 is equal to +1.5 Bonus
or 7.5 AP...

> > Come to think of it, Berserk
> >magic needs that rule too...

> hmm - Always causes a wound, regardless of AP bid?

That's nice, but not easily scaleable for higher levels of ability

> - Always transfer (a proportion of) the AP's lost?

erm... I was thinking of the Simple Contest version, with no AP involved, but of course if there are no Edges, the whole rule needs changing - but I expect it will become a Bonus rather than a matter of AP.

Wulf