Re: Donandar magic keyword

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:43:56 +0200

Me & Mike Cule:

> >Runes: ???

> Harmony and Illusion IIRC.

        I was speaking of HW runes. In Ttrotsky's write-up Donandar has [Theist] [Storm] [Orlanth] [Donandar] but IMO Donandar is not only connected to the Storm Pantheon, but also to the Solar and Earth Pantheons, through his brothers.

        So I think that every culture which recognize in his myths a brother of him sports a cult of Donandar, albeit in a different form. (A fertile field for God Learners) ;)

Me & Wulf Corbett

> Trotsky has the Donandar Keyword on his site, but very different to
> yours.

        D'oh! One has a creative fit and gets immediately repressed! ;)

> Not sure which I personally prefer, but you've forgotten mundane
> skills...

        Thanks, but I left out mundane skills on purpose, because I feel you have to be an entertainer to become a Donanadari (see the requirements) and not the other way around, and besides the actual abilities taught by the cult would vary too much according to cultural prejudices and tastes. Evidently the mundane abilities given in Ttrotsky's write-up are those that entertain the Torkani, but why not an "Improvise Poetic Strophe" (which IMO any Heortling skald should have)? Better leave out the mundane from the magical - in this case.

> Trotsky has the Switch Places as the Secret, but has demoted
> Harmonise to a simple Feat, which perhaps give Switch Places it's
> rightful importance?

        I prefer Harmonize as the secret, because harmony is one of the fundamental elements of music (even though Donandar is not only god of music) and IMO it's more serious and resonant, whereas Switch Places seems to me a cheap trick worthy of Eurmal. "Blending all, making harmony out of cacophony, was Donandar's secret power" - I like this sentence! ;)

        In short, IMO Donandar's ultimate power (and this is what the secret is supposed to represent, isn't it?) is the use of entertainment (especially music) as the basis for unity and cooperation, and for salvation. Too much rhetorical? Perhaps, but a kind of rhetoric I like. If you happen to know Rush, think of 2112 (their masterpiece IMO).

        I really can't find something that interesting and deep in Switch Places. What is it supposed to represent?

> I'd prefer Illusions to be per sense too, but
> having to use 3-5 different feats for one illusion is a pest, so
> perhaps it should be an Improv. modifier per extra sense?

        Is it necessary for an affinity to include feats? I think illusions should always have an improv. modifier. Otherwise:

Illusion (Create Illusion, True Perception, Switch Places)

        The last one isn't just an illusion, but also involves movement, so I'm not sure it really belongs - perhaps it should be a secret after all. But still I am unconvinced. Perhaps I'll do as David suggested, and make it the secret of a hero cult. Though this opens up another question: is Donandar cult big enough to have heroes, or would they be subsumed under the great god?

        Anyway, many thanks for the answers and suggestions so far.

	Cheers,
	A replying Alex.