Re: Re: Heroquest clarification -- the 20 bottleneck

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:18:46 +0100

> > >If you have masteries left over after reaching a critical success
>then the
> > >remainders bump the opponent down.
> >
> > A wonderful new rule! I don't know how many people have come across
>the 20
> > bottleneck, but its removal is something I'm very glad to see.
> >
>how does this remove the 20 bottleneck rule?

Okay, let me check we have the same 20 bottleneck in mind...

If you are running a game where characters with W3 are common, a skill of 20 is vastly preferable to a skill of 1W1. This is because 20 vs 10W3 (say) results in a critical for your opponent and a success for you (normally). A skill of 1W1 in the same situation leads to a crit vs. a fail. There is therefore a strong disincentive to increase your skill beyond 20, unless you're quickly going to push it up to 20W.

With the new rule, 20 and 1W1 are identical, regardless of your opponent's strength, and against weaker opponents, 2W1 is better. Increasing skills is more worthwhile.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson