Re: Re: Sense Gods Nearby

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:56:53 +0200

Getting seriously OT ...

> > Yes, but Greg's point is that he is *never* called "the Thunder
> > God" / "the God of Thunder", in the way us RuneQuesters commonly
> > refer to Gloranthan deities as "Death God", "God of Cattle", etc.
> >
> > Parallel would be calling Orlanth "the Storm", not "the Storm God"
> > (or indeed "a Storm God"). "Humakt is Death", that kinda thing.

I agree that it's a very attractive idea ; about as attractive as referring to Orlanth as just "(the) God" (as in KoS frex), and I suppose to Ernalda as "the Goddess". :-)

My own point was that Thunder/Sky/Storm/etc are also virtually synonymous with "God" in Homer, not just "Zeus" : in Glorantha this would seem more in line with Yelmic paganism than Heortling (although with Sun/Fire/Sky, not Thunder/etc.) ...

> > Homeric divine epithets are fun.

I agree !! :-)

(dontcha all just love Athena's epithets ... )

> > This is an interesting semantic
> > nuance. Thanks to Greg for bringing it to our attention, even if it
> > was too tricky to implement wholesale in the HW/HQ rules.
>
> To us, he is the storm and the storm is him.

... and the storm is god ...

> To them, he is another
> pesky storm god. Or something like that ;-)

:-)

Julian Lord