Re: Sense Runic Power

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:20:38 -0000

You seemed to be implying that Heortling Lankor Mhy guys are unable to comprehend (a), and so therefore are (b). While I'm tempted to say that all Heortlings are clearly (b), I don't think that HLM guys consider facts determined by their magic to be fake truths, and so at least have a chance of comprehending that cows created by magic aren't fake cows. i.e. They don't simply assume that magic = fake, even illusion magic. An illusory bridge can still get you across the river (or half way across it at least ;), which is about as real as a bridge needs to be, for example.

> I'm
> saying that "this thing that was sired by Big Bob on Daisy, has
been here
> for two years, and will likely be here from several more is a 'real
cow',
> and this thing here that didn't exist five minutes and will be gone
in
> another five, notwithstanding whatever otherwise comprehsively
bovine
> qualities it may have is an 'illusion'" is a magically feasible
> distinction

Sure, of cousre they'll see a distinction. magic that determines the cows history, or divines it's future will clearly show that it's temporary, and I doubt that many poeple will spend much time debating the fine points about whether it's fake, real, temporary, or whatever at the time.

> > Illusion is the other side of Truth, not the opposite of it.
>
> I'm not hearing the difference.

They are opposite ends of a spectrum, and therefore do not necesserily negate or cancel each other out in all cases. In evidence, I'd point out that everything in Glorantha appears to have it's opposite, yet it still exists and bits of it don't spontaneously vanish from time to time. e.g. water and fire produce steam, not nothing. So truth and illusion transform each into new permutations, rather than disappearing into the void.

> I wouldn't normally be the first one to be defending God Learner
Rune Pairs
> to the death, certainly not as immutable universals, but there
seems to me
> to be evidence that they do have meaning for the Heortlings. Their
attitude
> to Truth and Illusion seems to me to be equally as dualistic as say
their
> attitude to Life and Death.

Which, I think you'll agree, isn't that "First you live, and then Death is the end, that's it, nothing more to tell."

Simon Hibbs