Re: Illusion

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:37:22 EDT

In a message dated 20/06/02 08:08:49 GMT Daylight Time, hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:
Roderick:
<< As I noted below, I think the main problem comes from the terminology, and  the definitions implicit from other games that don't hold true for  Glorantha. A Gloranthan Illusion can't be disbelieved, is apparant to *all*  senses, etc. >>

I am not sure the *all* senses bit has been discussed. Or did I miss it. To me, an illusionary cow could be just the appearance of the cow (it is like a hologram), the substance of a cow, the sound of a cow (moo) or any and all other sense recognition versions of a cow. The point being that the in the case of vision, the hologram, everyone who could see the cow sees the cow, even if they know it is an illusion and has (in this case) no substance. A troll, using darksense would not darksense the cow. The "illusion" property it therefore possesses is that is incomplete, not the full story, less than it superficially appears, which might be what the mystics are saying about the world in general. There may be some essential essense of cow, the True Cow, a sort of platonic ideal cow, that Heortlings dream about and Malkioni theorise about but this Truth never exists, the Illusionists argue, because there are no ideal, perfect platonic cows that embody all the principles of cowness perfectly, so in a sense they are all illusionary cows, to some extent. This makes the whole argument one of degree, or "the world is made of everything" rewritten to talk about "Truth" (which I woudl try to think of as the underlying but imperceivable actual universe) and "Illusion" (which is the limited world that one can assess with ones senses).

Keith