Re: Illusion

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:47:09 -0700

> I still think it's misleading _in the extreme_ to talk about "default"
> Illusion -- particularly where we're talking about the Trickster. In
> particular I think a lot of baggage is being imported from contexts like
> the Lunars and other more "mystical" cultures, where this view of Illusion
> may in some sense be more grounded, to one like the Heortlings where it's
> entirely the domain of "Eurmal Stuff".

It obviously depends on what particular magical ability is being used, but "Create Illusory Cow" should produce a whole cow, complete with moo, smell, milk, etc. "Create Hologram of Cow", or "Create Smell of Cow" would produce only that particular portion of the cow. In some ways, I'd restrict Illusion magic much the same way as spells - wording in the spell/feat name should be important.

Can you use "Illusion" to change a cows appeareance? of course - but it is shapechange magic, really, not hologram magic. Turn a Cow Pie into a Apple Pie? Sure! The Cow Pie is a lovely apple pie, smells great, just that hint of tang, a touch of cinnamon, the crust flakey and sweet... The laugh is when you turn off the illusion - when the chief has eaten half his piece. The point is, though, that until the illusion is "turned off", the chief is enjoying a true apple pie.

To "restrict" the Creation/Shapechange aspect of Illusion magic, don't hand out "Create Illusory Cow" type spells/feats. Hand out "Create Cow Smell", or "Seeming of a Cow" instead.

RR