Re: Illusion

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

RR:
> It obviously depends on what particular magical ability is being used, but
> "Create Illusory Cow" should produce a whole cow, complete with moo, smell,
> milk, etc. "Create Hologram of Cow", or "Create Smell of Cow" would produce
> only that particular portion of the cow. In some ways, I'd restrict Illusion
> magic much the same way as spells - wording in the spell/feat name should be
> important.

That's sheer semantics. Those are all instances of "Illusion", as a Heortling would understand the concept (and indeed, Rune).

> Can you use "Illusion" to change a cows appeareance? of course - but it is
> shapechange magic, really, not hologram magic. Turn a Cow Pie into a Apple
> Pie? Sure! The Cow Pie is a lovely apple pie, smells great, just that hint
> of tang, a touch of cinnamon, the crust flakey and sweet... The laugh is
> when you turn off the illusion - when the chief has eaten half his piece.
> The point is, though, that until the illusion is "turned off", the chief is
> enjoying a true apple pie.

This sort of magic, however, as I commented before, I can find no Gloranthan precedent for at all, and certainly it doesn't seem to fit any sense of the word "illusion". You're not making a temporary creation, and you're not altering the victim's perception.