Re: Donandar magic keyword

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:46:27 +0200

Me & Tim Ellis:

> > Illusion (Create Illusion, True Perception, Switch Places)
> >
> > The last one isn't just an illusion, but also involves
> movement, so I'm not
> > sure it really belongs - perhaps it should be a secret after all.
>
> I'm not sure it is "movement" as such, more probabilities, sort of
> Shroedingers Entertainer. You can't tell which is the "real"
> Donandari until you can test it, so in a way they are all "real" and
> all "illusionary" (maybe there is a cautionary tale of a Donadari, or
> (since someone said it sounds like a Trickster power) a Trickster who
> got lost in his own illusions and vanished completely)

        Now I'm sure it is not! Even though it is often not very wise to mix myth with math, this time I like it too much... :)

        But to fit with quantum mechanics, the donandari would have likewise no idea about his true position until it is measured (by a sword stroke, no less). I also like the idea of the cautionary tale and perhaps will develop it - or better, in keeping with HW's philosophy of letting players develop the aspects of Glorantha which are pertinent to their characters, let him write it.

> For example, and off the top of my head, say 1% of a god's followers
> follow a particular hero cult, and 85% of Orlanthi follow Orlanth,
> then obviously an Orlanthi tribe will be able to call upon a number
> of Orlanth Hero Cults. The number of Donandari will be small to
> start with (and will be "competing" with heroes of Orlanth the Bard,
> Lankhor Mhy the Skald and Issaries the Storyteller) so the number of
> Donandar Hero Cults available at any one time is going to be very low.
>
> (Does that make sense?)

        Yes it does and I think it's in line with what I was saying: you can start as a Donandar hero and then drift in few generations to become an Orlanth the Bard hero, or whatever, simply because *you* are important locally, while Donandar (or whatever was called your patron before your apotheosis) is not, at least not enough to have a full temple dedicated to him.

        After all, often Great Gods, just as Great Stories, are basins of attraction for lesser heroes (and lesser stories). It happened in the RW, so it probably happens in Glorantha, too.

	Cheers,
	A mathematical Alex.