Re: Spam and countermeasures

From: styopa004 <steve_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:28:12 -0000

Nick posted...
That said, we'll be changing the HeroWars list's moderation settings soon to "Unmoderated, moderate new members" -- this means that any new user's first posts are held in a queue until us gentle moderators can get around to approving their membership (based on what they post). I *believe* this would have caught all eight of our list's spammers before they got off the starting blocks. It should mean no convenience whatsoever to established list users, and only minor inconvenience to new members and moderators. We'll let other Gloranthan list owners know how it works out after we've made the switch. Cheers, Nick

This same change has been made to hw-rules, FYI.

Please note I've also done the blanket unsubscribe/resubscribe to the 27 bouncing memebers. It seems to be the only reliable way to force Yahoo to re-test the bounce.

My apologies for any inconvenience either of the above causes you, unless you're a spammer, for whom I'm utterly pitiless.

-Listmeister Steve