Re: Spending HP on affinities

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:23:27 +0100

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:36:32 +0100, Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...m.co.uk> wrote:

>and other such special effects (e.g. running on treetops). However, only
>devotees get those advantages. For initiates there is, as Reinierd
>suggests, no apparent benefits worth the triple cost.
>
>I'm inclined to consider this a bug, but we've really only played as
>devotees in our games. Does anyone have any experience of playing initiates?

I am running an Initiate of Yinkin, but I must admit I'm usually accepting the -10 modifier for Initiate use of a feat (yes, I use -10), so it's for the Roleplaying aspect alone - there is NO apparent advantage, other than she is also an Initiate of Ailrene the Borrower (who, I discover, comes in EXTREMELY handy at odd times...).

I try to improve at least one Affinity on every character I run (I have a batch of 5 characters, one for every occasion and level of ability) every session, but it is beginning to annoy me how slowly they all improve compared to others who can improve 3 extra abilities by the same 1 point instead. I end up with a character who's lower in ability AND is more of a one-trick pony (yes, admittedly, if I only ran 1 character that one would improve quicker, but then I'd be a one-trick pony too...). My Vingan can get both Deadly Spear Throw and Spearhelp for those 3 points, so, yes, she gets both Close and Ranged combat. But she could improve both for a point each, and have a point left over! And, sure, being a Devotee she gets lots of Feats that can stack Augments, but that takes preparation, so that good magic using characters become more and more dependant on preparation, and less and less able in surprise situations.

I LIKE the magic system in HW/HQ, but it does seem disadvantageous to concentrate on it.

Wulf