Re: Worldscale (was Abilityscale)

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:04:53 -0000

Hi James
> With the greatest respect Ian, I don't think this exhortation helps
newbies. What they need are reference points.

Try this - an charcter who does not have some ability in it runs at 6, one with a skill might be 13,17, or 5W. Does that mean anythin in terms of abolute speed. I don't think so. But what we can say is that the guy who runs at 5W is a lot faster than the guy that runs at 6. A lot faster.

Let's get preactical: what happens when a human with Running 5W is in a race against an alynx with sprint 15, and a horse with Run Fast 2W. How do I handle it?

First no one seems to be using a magical ability, so I can be guided by nature. Second what kind of race is it, over what distance, with waht obstacles? Let say it is a 100m dash. I expect the alynx should win by a good margin, the horse come second with the human not far behind. So Let's give the alnx a mastery over the human and the horse about +5.

The point is I modify the numbers depending on what the situation needs. For absolute numbers I would need everyone to lis their sprint, run middle-distance, run long distance etc. And that's not how HW works.

Any better?