RE: Re: Don't be this guy

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:14:04 +0100

jamesjhawkins wrote,

> Are you saying that Hero Wars is only suitable for "linear" scenarios?

My own $0.02 on this:

I wish Hero Wars was *more* suitable for linear scenarios.

As it is, the broken augmentation rules make it almost impossible to design satisfying, player-resistant encounters without an excess of Narratorly hand-waving and fudgery.

At which point, why even pretend to be playing Hero Wars, if all you get is the burden of a straitjacketed magical system designed to prevent you from enjoying Glorantha, and a rules system whose authors and apologists explain that Gloranthans don't know the numbers and that ability ratings are relatively meaningless.

Roll on HeroQuest, sez I. The more of the rules they cut, the happier I'll be. (Who on earth decided that HW needed a combat system, anyway?)

Cheers, Nick