Re:comparing ratings

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:57:57 EDT

Roderick said:

<Nope, I stand by what I said.
<
<If I'm in a race using "Run fast 14" against a falcon with "Fly fast 14",
agiant <with "Leap far 14", a monkey with "Swing quickly on vines 14" and a fish with <"Swim fast 14" (just to pick abilities and numbers out of the air), then I have an <even chance of getting to the finish line ahead of the mall on a straight course, <no Hero Points, each creature in its properenvironment, etc.

Iīm still sure that any rating is primary a description of your character, i mean thatīs how making a characters starts: you write 100 words and on that basis, assign ratings to the keywords.
If your rating for any movement ability, for example, is 5w-it means you are quite good at it, right?!
So a giant, who maybe moves 5m(on default of 6) per step and a giant who trained running, and thus runs 7m(or any other number), is quicker than a bird(rating 6), who flies only 2m in the same time, that the giant moves 7m.So how can you say you donīt give a darn how quick they are in reality??? The rating describes how good a character is with his specific skill.You can compare the rating with any other human, but not with movement skills, that rely on quicker or slower forms,thatīs what i believe!

<Sure you can. In Glorantha, there are people that can out-run a
horse,out-fly an <albatross, out-think Big Blue, leap tall buildings in a singlebound, and otherwise <outperform any *mundane* animal going (maybe not all in
<one person...). And yes, there are Horses, Albtrosses, etc. that can
outperform <heroes, but they are magical things, not mundane.

Exactly, and i think for simplicities sake, we should forget all the magic for a little while and talk about the mundane skills only(if you let me call a 10m humanoid mundane :-) ).
With magic, everything can be explained-but that is not our problem.....

<Nonsense. Your Slimemonster may have other abilities that can <be used to
augment "Strength", but Strength is strength. You can <hand-wave that yougave the slimemonster 15w4 Strength <because it has extra-terrestial origin
<and uses non-euclidian space to move things about, but don't <give
itStrength 15 and then claim some bogus additional modifier <because "its not human".

I admit, that example was a bit silly, i just wanted to show examples for several "categories" and failed in that case :-P

<And then one day, at the end of a long session, you'll
<forget to add your "Extraterrestial origin" modifier, and you'll be <looking
at a dead slime puddle and wonder what went wrong.

Sorry, i find this quite humorous, but itīs not an argument at all.....

greetings to the man,who had most of the times, i remember, the most convincing answers....and i mean this very respectful ! :-)

Christian