Re: House Rule: Divine Strike

From: reinierd <reinierd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:52:17 -0000

Hi Gian,
Since you asked for feedback...

No offense, but I hate rules like this. If Divine Strike exists as a rule, it is virtually guaranteed that the Narrator will design a scenario that can only be survived using this rule. And what a tradeoff: *at best* you win the exchange, and pay half your affinity.

This hurts advanced characters even more than beginners, but it would take a beginning character with Affinity 17 a tidy 8*3=24 HPs or 8 adventures on average, diligently using his almost worthless affinity every time *just to get back to his beginning ability* (assuming the narrator doesn't spring another Divine Strike scenario on him). Sheesh...

On the other hand, maybe you have one of those long-running, frequently-meeting campaigns infested with players in the xW3 and xW4 range. In that case, I can understand the need for a rule like this.

Also there is the problem that I can think of no mythical rationale for the game effects.

Bottom line, if a Narrator instituted this rule in a campaign I was in, I would be tempted to rename the game Call of Cthulhu, and the Narrator Azathoth (as in arbitrary, insane, and utterly destructive). ;)

Again, none of these comments are meant as an attack on you. Just expressing, with a touch of hyperbole, my intense dislike of rules like this.

Reinier