Re: House Rule: Divine Strike

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:15:46 -0000

> The way I understand encounters in
> the Otherworld, the hero thinks that
> they're facing the Otherworld Entity
> (deity, whatever), but it could be a
> worshipper of the Entity, a lesser
> version (servant, whatever) or the
> Entity, or the Entity itself.

My opinion is that, in the otherworlds, a questor always meets a worshipper of the entity rather than the entity itself(*1,2,3,4). That worshipper is usually from the same time and from nearby but it could be a worshipper from a different age or from across the lozenge (or both). This seems to be one of the higher rules that binds Glorantha across belief systems.

The two interacting questors might both "win" - the mere fact of them interacting in this high powered ritualised setting generates more output than the sum of the inputs.

(*1) Unless they have crossed the 10w6 (or is it 10w9?) barrier to the innermost sanctum.
(*2) Or descendant or otherwise closely involved/related. (*3) Perhaps there are many low-level entities that are "just" part of the otherworld geography with no known worshippers or descendants. But I think that even these are empowered by the regular rituals and ceremonies that just happen without the player character involvement.
(*4) The counter-example is that there are many daimones/otherworld entities that are bound to the inner world and players can interact with these. Perhaps the worship or propitiation rituals empower these entities to appear to act as independants.

regards,
Charles