Re: Re: Last actions as played

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:10:37 -0700

> >The Tough roll isn't to allow you an action, it *is* the action. [...]
> >Note that a final action doesn't have to just be used to get you back
into
> >the contest[...]
>
> So a Final Action can be used as a "Get Back to Positive AP" action, or as
> single action which can be an unrelated action or a related action with a
AP
> bid against an opponent...
> Is it right?

Almost Correct. The Action can be:
Get back to positive AP so you can take actions next round. Do something Heroicly Fatal*

*Where fatal is a relative term. You don't have to actually die, you could just be horribly maimed, or lose an important piece of equipment, or a major Follower, or get a terrible reputation that will haunt you forever, or other Really Bad Stuff. You shouldn't be just fine in the next scene. Personally, this is the kind of Narrative Goodness that I might let happen without a roll.

I just thought of a real-life example of a Heroically Fatal FA: After the battle of Marathon, a runner ran back to Athens 23 miles in full armor to report the victory, then died. Most people would think that the runner won his "Run 23 miles" contest, but he didn't; he was driven to -31AP by the distance, then used his FA to get to town and gasp out his message before dying.

> One more question about final actions...
> There are some secrets which work "as a final action[...], even if he
> normally would not be allowed a final action."
> What does "even if he normally would not be allowed a final action" mean?
> Can I use this secret while an opponent "keep an eye on me"?

Times an FA is not allowed:
In Individual - not Group - Extended contests In Simple Contests
When Watched
After you've already FA'd and failed. - though I'd be leery of this one, and probably only allow one attempt at an FA-by-Secret

Read the Secret carefully and see how it might be applied - some might make sense in one situation, but not in others. If you can't make something make narrative sense, and the player can't convince you how it does, you can still say "no, I'm sorry, it just won't work".

> Sorry for my horrible spanglish...

Better than my Spanish :-).
(I *was* pleased to see that my three years of High-school French 25 years allowed me to read my mother's letters from school when she was nine...)

RR