RE: Re: Last actions as played

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:33:40 +0100

Roderick wrote:

> You need time and effort to perform the final action, and if some-
> one is making sure to keep an eye on you, then you won't have the
> opportunity. War movies often have the scene where the bad guys are
> wiped out by grenades/submachinegun fire ... Had the soldiers taken
> the precaution of administering the coup de grace (a bullet to the
> head for everyone), or policed up the room immediately, the "dead"
> guy wouldn't have had a chance.

"Hero Wars" is *not* IMO a game about painstakingly executing fallen enemies (or taking care of any other minor details) for fear the Narrator will spring a "Final Action" surprise on you if you don't. See HW p.149 -- "Killing Helpless Opponents - An Argument Against."

"Hero Wars" is *not* IMO a game where it should ever be a *problem* that
"the winning side is lax in their security precautions." Worrying about
"security precautions" seems to me to be the kind of thing no
self-respecting hero would ever give a moment's thought to!

Finally, IMO it is *not* "Narratively Good" to require players to routinely "take the precaution of administering the coup de grace" for fear of being Narrated against if they don't.

I found that part of Roderick's argument *really* stuck in my craw.

Cheers, Nick